Monday, October 11, 2010

Apple Season


  Apple season is here. Here are a couple of recipes to get you started on filling your home with the aroma of that lovely Fall fruit.  
   The first I found in a book titled The Kentucky Bourbon Cookbook by Albert Schmid.  Although I won't re-post the recipe here, all you need to do is follow your basic apple pie recipe, but with the following tricks:  soak the apple slices in about 1/2 cup bourbon for about an hour, then saute the apple slices in butter (about a stick) till somewhat soft, add maple syrup, sugar, and spices to the pan and cook long enough to melt the sugar.  Pour the mixture into your pie crust and cover with a crust in a lattice design.  I used the excess apple syrup from the pan to brush on the top and sprinkle with a little fine baking sugar.  Although my pastry skills are not perfected to picture worthy status, the pie tasted delicious. Wonderful with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Add caption
  The second recipe is so simple, yet the end result is fantastic.  And it is guaranteed to spice up your home with the aroma of Fall.  Homemade applesauce takes about 40 minutes or so to make.  You can use any kind of apple, depending upon how tart or sweet you like your applesauce.  I was making some for my 2 year old, so I choose Fujis for their sweetness.  
   Cut up your apples in somewhat chunks.  Place in a saucepan with apple cider (about halfway up the pile of apples.)  Simmer until soft, then add maple syrup, brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, and a little cloves.  Simmer for about 10 more minutes.  At this point you should be able to mash the apples with a potato masher.  I like the sauce fairly smooth, so I used a handheld blender.  
   Applesauce I think is best warm.  It is also a great condiment on pork chops or roasted chicken.  



No comments: