Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Homemade granola bars


Here is my first attempt at homemade granola bars. They turned out pretty good, but very sweet! Gus (my three year old) had some this morning and it was a hit! I was pretty excited, especially since my son is the king of picky eaters! For those who are interested, I found the recipe on http://southernfood.about.com. I modified the recipe a little bit to fit the ingredients that I had already in my pantry.
Tip: grease the pan you cook it in really well - the bars really stick when they cool off.

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup melted butter
2/3 cup peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 - 4 cups muesli cereal
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/3 cup ground flax seed

Mix all ingredients together till mixture is sticky clumps. Press mixture into greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into bars.

No comments: