Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Vintage style pot holder

Here's my first attempt at a potholder. I didn't use a pattern - I just cut out two cotton fabric squares. I made one larger than the other so that I could overlap for binding. I also cut out a matching square of batting. Next time, I will use a thicker batting. This potholder was made with lightweight cotton batting and it is just too thin. I might even double up the thicker batting next time. Before embroidering the design, I first quilted the entire potholder, then folded over the edge for a binding. On the front of the potholder, I transferred a design using an iron-on pattern from a company called Aunt Martha's. This company makes reproduction vintage transfers that are very easy to use. I then stitched over the lines, making sure that my needle didn't go all the way through to the back of the potholder. At the end and the beginning of each thread, I buried the ends in the batting of the potholder, thus hiding them. My next project is a matching tea cozy made with coordinating fabrics and a small Scottie embroidered design. These will be donated to a silent auction benefiting the Nevada Society of Scottish Clans.